Sunday, May 21, 2017

GUITAR GODS: Udi Levy

Its not every player who can play with equal passion and authenticity in a variety of styles, but Udi Levy is on the short list.

An in demand session player in New York, he has been immersed in the world of jazz for years, even playing with jazz greats - and Miles Davis alumni - Marcus Miller and John Scofield, toured the world. and seen his music on the charts.

But now Udi has released an album of shredding instrumental rock music that sounds like he's been doing it his entire life!

Learn more about Udi Levy at his website, and be sure to check out his music and videos.

I had a chance to chat with Udi recently - check it out!

=====

1) What are your current projects?

I'm just about to release my 4th rock instrumental "Addictive Substance".


2) How does this (do these) differ from your past work?

My first 2 CD's were Jazz and RnB based music which of course the whole concept and approach are completely different.


3) Do you have one project that you are most proud of as a guitarist?

I am proud of all the project that I did so far, I put my heart and soul in any project that I'm getting into.


4) Can you give our readers a run-down of your basic gear (live and/or studio), and do you have a favorite piece of gear?

Sure.. I play 7 string Suhr Modern Guitars plugged to various pedals which include Diamond Compressor, RC booster, OKKO Diablo overdrive, Empress Delay.
To a few Marshall heads like JCM 2000 DSL/TSL and using a few Mesa Boogie speaker cabinets.


5) Who would you cite as early influences, and who are you favorite new players?

I grew up listening to so many guitar players (and still ) ... Gary Moore, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Vinnie Moore, Greg Howe, Albert Lee, Marty Friedman.. just to name a few but the list will go on and on.


6) Can you give a few tips to aspiring players?

When you learn a new phrase or lick try at first to learn it exactly as its written and played slow the tempo down if needed after you mastered it feel free to tweek it and make it your own.


7) What was the hardest thing about transitioning from jazz to rock styles?

To be honest it wasn't really difficult, even though I performed and recorded jazz CD's as a soloist and as a sideman I was always into rock as well, performing as a sideman and of course kept practicing. it was such a matter of composing the tunes and just to decide to change direction.


8) You are in high demand as a session player, as well. Can you talk a little about the challenges and rewards working as a session player as opposed to fronting your own bands?

The main thing is to listen to the producer/bandleader and try to come up with the arrangement that they will be pleased with.

Some can explain with better words what they are looking for and some not, it is important to put some of your style in it but mostly try to nail the energy and groove that they want.


9) What are your future plans?

Right now I'm focusing on promoting my latest release "Addictive Substance"


10) Thanx for talking to us, Udi!​

Thanks you for having me!


No comments:

Post a Comment